Marketing has been defined as “the activity, set of institutions, and processes for creating, communicating, delivering, and exchanging offerings that have value for customers, clients, partners, and society at large.” by The American Marketing Association. For every business it is imperative to have a marketing plan in place to help achieve the financial goals of the company. It is best to monitor how your efforts perform, and then tweak your plan if necessary.
It is important to think about the message that you want to portray. Before any ad campaign or marketing efforts, you need to ensure that you have a clear and concise message in mind and that it doesn’t stray too far from brand. You don’t want to confuse your customers with any advertising by not staying close to the brand message that you have already been giving – unless you are totally revamping. If you are totally revamping your logo and message, you may need to let the customer know in your marketing efforts that you have a new look but still have the same values or something of that sort.
Identifying the key customer is important as well. To do so you have to think of the age, income, and lifestyle of your typical customer that visits your business and create content and promotions that speak to them.
There are many different types of ways to reach your customers. Depending on the type of company that you have one way may work better for you or you may find that a combination of various types will be the ticket. Some of the different ways you can market to your customers include:
- Print Ads – generally come in the mail or with the newspaper
- Direct Mail – targeted, personalized, cost effective, proven
- Television Advertising – large and targeted audience
- Have a website – general information, product videos, testimonials, new products, a blog on the site is a plus
- Join social media – Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc. – quickly connects you with your customers
- Join local business organizations and networking groups – helps with referrals and cooperative marketing strategies
- Offer free classes/workshops – related to products or services you sell, helps gain new interest
- SEO/PPC – helps improve your web presence
- Email Marketing – targeted, cost effective, and easily shareable
Anytime you have put on a marketing promotion, it is important to track the results. This will help you to re-adjust your marketing and advertising efforts make them more effective. Tracking helps you see which avenues work the best for your company – print, digital or a mix of both.